Best. Taquitos. Ever!
Recipe from Our Best Bites.
1/3 C. (3 oz.) cream cheese
1/4 C. green salsa
1 T. fresh lime juice
1/2 t. cumin
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. onion powder
1/4 t. granulated garlic, or garlic powder
3 T. chopped cilantro
2 T. sliced green onions
2 C. shredded cooked chicken
1 C. grated pepperjack cheese
small corn tortillas (flour tortillas would also work well)
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
Heat cream cheese in the microwave for 20-30 seconds so it's soft and easy to stir. Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic. Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions. Add chicken and cheese and combine well.
**You can prepare up to this step ahead of time. Just keep the mixture in the fridge.**
Work with a few tortillas at a time and heat in the microwave until they are soft enough to roll without cracking. It helps to place them between damp paper towels. Usually 20-30 seconds will do it. If you find yours are cracking when you roll them or are coming unrolled right away, just try heating them longer and try the paper towel thing.
Place 2-3 T. of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges. Then roll it up as tight as you can.
Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Lay all the taquitos on the baking sheet and make sure they are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil miser and sprinkle some kosher salt on top.
Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown.
Serve with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.
My suggestions: A few things I did differently in this recipe:
- I used 1/2 C. cream cheese, instead of the called for 1/3 C., which made it more creamy, which is how I like it.
- I didn't have any cilantro, so I just omitted it. Next time I make these though, I would make sure to have some to add. I could tell that it was missing that flavor the cilantro adds to a dish.
- I omitted the green onions because, really, I'm not a fan of those. Not sure if it really even mattered.
- Used a generous cup of pepperjack cheese. I love cheese.
- You don't need kosher salt. I used normal table salt and it worked just fine.
I will never buy frozen taquitos again. They do not even compare to how yummy these homemade, baked taquitos taste!